The Associate Vice President (AVP) of the Behavioral Health department is a key part of the leadership team. The position will base at either the central region or northeast region hub with accountability for the system performance of the clinical service. Travel to other regions regularly is expected.
The Operations Directors and the Chief APs will report to this person as a direct supervisor. The AVP will report to the Vice President of the Neuroscience Institute.
The main functions of this position are key leadership tasks, program development, strategic planning with the leadership team for the Institute moving forward and in-depth business planning and analyses.
Roles, Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Manager of Neuroscience Staff
1. *Directly supervises operations directors, chief APs, senior administrative assistants if present and other staff as appropriate including hiring, termination and performance appraisal for direct reports.
2. Assists Operations Management team with hiring, performance evaluation and terminations as necessary. Provides continuing education and staff development
3. Assures managers and supervisors maintain appropriate staffing plans to ensure optimal clinical flow using appropriate benchmarks and staffing models.
4. *Responds to employee engagement feedback by completing appropriate action plans for span of control reports and ensures management plans are aligned with needs.
5. Participates in rounding on staff and patients
6. Assists with the regular reviews of job descriptions and staffing benchmarking analyses
7. Attends and presents as necessary at monthly staff meetings
8. Creation and sustainment of a culture that prioritizes the ideal patient experience and staff experience
Manager of Practice
9. Maintain working knowledge of clinic flows and structures, assist with improvement initiatives, using key cycle time metrics to monitor
10. *Creation, action planning and achievement of budgets/ rolling forecasts
11. *Monthly review of financial reports for operational management to achieve targets and monthly revenue cycle reporting reviews
12. *Monthly quality department meetings, review of metrics and action planning for any area not meeting targets. Represent BH operations at monthly operation management meetings
13. *Participate in BH search processes including interviewing providers during recruitment visits
14. *Set up and manage outreach including lease arrangements with legal and finance
15. *Participate in JV oversight and leadership as designed by the contracts for such
16. Assure compliant integration of research into the practice
17. *Maintain regulatory readiness, participate in rounding activities, create action plans to address concerns
18. Assure efficient and effective integration of education into the clinical practice
19. *Investigate and respond to patient complaints. Monitor patient satisfaction reports and assist with action plans for improvement
20. Attend monthly business strategy meetings, review opportunity to reduce outmigration of business and execute planned action items
21. Assist with strategic planning
22. *Attend monthly marketing meetings, assist with marketing plan creation and execution
23. Assist with practice reporting including scorecards, analyses and other feedback loops to direct reports and provider teams
Manager of Access
24. *Monitor access metric performance and oversee appropriate action planning to maintain performance standards
25. *Assure new providers have aggressive but appropriate ramp up plans. Assure team is managing templates and other key scheduling processes as appropriate. Assure list management is being managed
26. *Participate as a team member in any access initiatives including representing BH when needed at Access Governance
27. Maintain collegial and effective relationships with other departments in the matrix structure of the Institute including but not limited to; nursing, finance, marketing, human resources, business strategy and development, revenue cycle, quality, facilities, supply chain, patient advocacy and regulatory performance improvement
Manager of Programs
28. *Work with clinical leaders in assigned program areas to understand the vision for care delivery to specific patient populations
29. *Operationalize program vision across the system to ensure consistency in care delivery
30. *Participate in strategy and marketing planning for specific program area and initiatives
31. *Manage clinical outcomes applicable to program areas and work with Quality team to identify measurement criteria. Participate in outcome reporting where applicable.
32. *Maintain positive working relationships with external practices to ensure practice and program development
33. *Develop and participate when necessary in community outreach activities
34. *Achieve center of excellence status for assigned programs if available through payors, professional organizations, and other governing bodies as approved by Institute Leadership.
35. *Create and foster multidisciplinary teams to deliver care to program patient populations
36. *Regularly monitor financial performance of programs.
Manager role to hospital platforms
37. *Participate in rounding, represent BH in hospital initiatives
38. *Participate in the JV as designed by contract and Geisinger Health leadership requests
39. *Participate in committee work as requested
40. *Maintain relationships and regular meetings with operation managers of ICU, ED, Nursing as well as any ancillary departments where connections exist for smooth operations
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
• Demonstrated leadership, facilitation, and networking skills (ability to think strategically) (leadership effectiveness competencies).
• Demonstrated analytical and financial management skills (operating and capital budgets) (organizational effectiveness competencies).
• Demonstrated competence in written, oral and electronic communication skills (interpersonal and technological effectiveness competencies).
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Master’s degree in Business, Public Health, Hospital Administration, Business Administration or equivalent related discipline required
Minimum of 8 years healthcare experience and at least 6 years healthcare management experience
Bachelors in Public Health, Hospital Administration, Business Administration or equivalent related discipline, required
Minimum of 10 years healthcare experience and at least 8 years healthcare management experience
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is typically performed in an office environment. Travel across the system is required.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
GEISINGER MEDICAL CENTER: (GMC), located Danville, Pa., the largest tertiary/quaternary care teaching hospital in the region, is licensed for 475 beds, including 89 pediatric beds in the Janet Weis Children’s Hospital. GMC, a Magnet Hospital, maintains the region’s only Level 1 Regional Resource Trauma Center with additional qualifications in pediatrics. GMC offers an array of highly specialized medical and surgical services, including neurosciences, cardiovascular services, transplantation, women’s health (in the Women’s Pavilion), oncology and orthopaedics. The Hospital for Advanced Medicine serves as an integrated center for the most critical patients. Outpatient services are available on and off campus.
One of the nation’s most innovative health services organizations, Geisinger serves more than 1.5 million patients in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The system includes 13 hospital campuses, a nearly 600,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. A physician-led organization, with approximately 32,000 employees and more than 1,800 employed physicians, Geisinger leverages an estimated $12.7 billion positive annual impact on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey economies. Repeatedly recognized nationally for integration, quality and service, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to patient care, medical education, research and community service. For more information, visit geisinger.org or connect with us onFacebook, Instagram, LinkedInand Twitter.
** Does not qualify for J-1 waiver. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
*Domestic partner benefits not applicable at Geisinger Holy Spirit.
At Geisinger, our innovative ideas are inspired by the communities we serve – like our Fresh Food
Farmacy, a program that delivers life-saving healthy alternatives to patients with diabetes. With additional tools like our MyCode Community Health Initiative, one of the first health system genome sequencing
programs, and our new asthma app suite that we developed in partnership with AstraZeneca, it’s no wonder we’re ranked one of the Top 5 Most Innovative Healthcare Systems by Becker's Hospital Review. We continually work towards continuous improvement in a culture where everyone has a voice and firmly believe that better begins with all of us.
Founded more than 100 years ago, Geisinger serves more than three million residents throughout central, south-central and northeastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Our physician-led system is comprised of 30,000 employees, including 1,600 employed physicians, and consists of 13 hospital campuses, the Geisinger Health Plan, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and two research centers.
What you do at Geisinger shapes the future of health and improves lives – for our patients, communities, and you.